Old June 19th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

Default Diana-2: is there a serial number >3?

On Jun 19, 2:25 pm, John Galloway wrote:

Eh?? It is great to see excellent new designs and
manufacturers such as the Diana, Antares, HpH Shark
and Jonkers but to say that 'the older German manufacturers
are being left behind by other companies across the
board' is a bit OTT.

Open Class: Who is beating the ASW22 and Nimbus 4?

Eta and EB28

18m class: The ASG 29 is being left behind?

304S, Antares 18 and JS1

Standard Class: Anything better than the Discus 2A?

Nope, but there's so many LS8s knocking around now - which are 99% as
good unless you live in an area where very strong conditions are the
norm - I'd be suprised if many D2s are still being sold

15m Class: The Diana-2 is a fascinating project and
elements of it may have a big effect on the future
of glider construction. The light weight allows a
very high aspect ratio and high performance. However
(if you want to buy into a fading class) is it yet
a safe place to put your own money rather than in an
ASW 27/Ventus 2?

Add in 15m version of 304S too. Yes, I expect these newer designs
which draw upon the great advances in computing power in the last few
years to outperform old designs.

Dan