Old March 19th 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default TOW PLANE Accident

Someone died....sucks for the reason......truley......

As to high tow vs. low tow.....I have my preference, but will wait until REAL NUMBERS show a difference.
I will NOT say the US needs to go low tow (again, I am biased....), I will wait on numbers.
I shall say, many peeps I have flown with are improperly trained on low tow......sorta described by posts in this thread.
Yes, as mentioned by some peeps (posted or to me via email/PM), "out of control is out of control....".

I agree with out of control.......

I am out of "keeping a fine eye" on tow, but one comment I had was......."who the F makes a glider (mostly SGS-xx) that climbs on tow?
Frankly....(waiting until we fly in the NE US....)....I will pay for tows in.......
SGS-2-33
SGS-1-26
ASK-21
ASW-2xxx

My thought......is there enough forward trim to maintain EITHER tow position?
Frankly, from what I vaguely remember......a thumb behind the stick on ANYTHING is enough to maintain vertical position.
A "death grip" on the stick blows out many minor sensor inputs to correct tow flying......

I am waiting until our club flies.....I will pay for tows in quite a few ships to see.......I will report back.......

If nothing else, I learn something.......
Maybe everyone will learn something.......

As stated before.....this conversation is a ****ing match, until hard numbers, still a ****ing match...