Old August 31st 03, 01:05 AM
Martin Hellman

Anybody compared the two or had any experience with them?

Big Price Difference... I dont mind spending the money for the Becker,
just curious if the Microair is a good unit?

I just replaced a Terra radio with a Becker and had considered the
Microair. Decided to spend the extra bucks on the Becker due to
indications that the Microair wasn't as high quality. Having wasted
money on the Terra, I didn't want to repeat the mistake. Can't say it
would have been a mistake for sure, but thought my experience
relevant. The Becker has performed admirably.

There may be a difference depending on whether you just need a radio
for being heard within a few miles of the airport on CTAF or for
contacting FSS, Flight Watch, etc. at much greater distances. In the
latter cases, you need as good a radio as possible.

Another factor to consider is installation cost. Once you add that in,
the price difference between the two shrinks somewhat. I'm constantly
amazed at how much avionics installations cost, particularly if you're
certificated and need to get a 337. In that event, picking a radio
that is also installed as a factory option can save much headache -
and dollars.

Martin