Old March 10th 10, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default winglets on a 2-33?

Has anyone ever put winglets on a 2-33? *or any other Schweitzer?

When I read the subject I burst out laughing.

I think tip losses on any Schweitzer are so far down
in the noise you'd never see the change. :-)

Hmmm, while laughable on a 2-33 or *most* any SGS using essentially a
Clark-Y airfoil, the 1-35, prolly even the 2-32, and perhaps even the
1-34 and 1-36 would benefit as much as any other ship (% wise) from
properly designed tip treatments. Look at all the big dumb ugly normal
aircraft that get them, there must be _some gains...

I do remember seeing a pic a few years back of some cardboard mock-ups
of winglets on a 2-33 done as a joke... which was rather amusing. Of
course you can always just 'shop them in- they'd be just as effective!

-Paul