Old April 14th 21, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 6:54:16 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I'm having trouble understanding your concerns, because these issues haven been worked on (at
least in the US) for at least the 25 years I've owned a motorglider, and the current rules
reflect the consensus of pilots flying competitions, whether it's Regionals, Nationals, or even
SSA records. The OLC doesn't have separate classes, either. There doesn't seem to be any need
to "resist the idea of a separate competition group", because I'm not aware of any formal (or
informal, either) attempts to change the competition classes into motor/non-motor.

Actually, the OLC has created a rule to "penalize" motorglider pilots in the speed league. One must begin a soaring flight within 15 km of the takeoff airport.

At California City we would often tow to the hills about 20 km away, so had to remember to come back within 15km after getting some altitude in order to score. Folks at Williams, CA, tow much farther, so don't get to compete in the sped league.

5Z