Old January 9th 05, 03:59 PM

: I suppose that you could recowl the plane with a newer version, but
: you'd probably have to get some kind of official signoff for a mod like
: that (i.e 337 at minimum, field approval worst case). This could be
: pretty expensive for minimal returns and there might be issues fitting
: the existing exhaust into the newer style cowl.

Just for info. Our 140/180 was modified with the newer cowling. From the
paperwork and logbooks, it required a 337 (of course), but also required getting the
Piper drawings for the firewall-forward. They had to relocate everything according to
that drawing (e.g. oil cooler on the firewall with a bracket, not in front beside the
prop). Landing gear, exhaust, and maybe engine mount (not sure on that one). Lots of
redoing, and required the "approved data" of the Piper drawings... it wasn't an STC,
but a plain 337.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *