Old June 4th 04, 09:13 AM
Bert Willing

As far as I recall, the Bohli varios use this compensation principle, and
they have quite a good reputation.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Todd Pattist" a écrit dans le message de
Kevin Christner wrote:

I'm a little bit confused. If you are using pitot and static in a
vario then you need electronic compentation. If you use reverse-pitot
(total energy probe) you need no compensation. I think you are
talking about wanted a vario that uses a total energy probe.

No, there are older TE designs using a diaphragm between the
pitot and capacity at static pressure. As you slow, the
diaphragm flexes less and the volume of the capacity
increases. It's designed to flex just enough to compensate
for the expansion of the air due to your stick thermal so no
air flows out the vario due to your climb even though you
have no TE tube, and your vario is hooked to static.

They never had a great reputation, and I'm not aware of any
varios that had this feature built in, but it could have
been. I suspect any diaphragm compensators still around
will need some tender loving care to resurrect to usefulness
as the diaphragms were kind of finicky and aged quickly.

Todd Pattist - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)