Old June 12th 05, 04:18 AM
Brenor Brophy

Hamish,

This brings back memories, one of my first "solo" IFR flights after getting
my rating was from Reid Hillview (RHV) in San Jose, down to Santa Monica
(SMO), I also used it as my qualifying long XC for my commercial ticket.
Here is the email I sent to my CFII afterwards letting him know how his
newly minted instrument pilot faired on his first trip into SoCal. Since
then I've flown into SMO on a couple of Angel Flights and I've Filed/flown
the same route as the first time (FERN5 STAR, vectors after VNY for VOR-A
approach).

BTW, I've always dropped Angel Flight passengers off at Supermarine, seems
like a nice place. Exit the runway on the RIGHT and pull well clear of the
runway before stopping for your after landing checklist. There is a
continuous apron along the runway in SMO rather than defined taxi-ways, so
you can pull off anywhere. This confused me the first time - I was unsure
where TWR control ended and GND began (some airports can be a real pain
about this - it is never clear exactly where you should stop. Example, in
PAO you need to pull onto the parallel taxiway - do that in RHV and they
will be asking you to phone the tower). I stopped as soon as my tail was
clear of the runway - when I called up GND they told me I should have taxied
well clear of the runway before stopping.

Brenor

Leg 1 RHV to SMO

Filed: RV VINCO V107 PXN V113 ROM V485 VTU V299 SADDE SMO DIRECT, 9000'
Clearance from 13L at RHV : to SMO, Fly runway heading to 400', right 290,
RV VINCO V107 then as filed, Climb 3000' expect 9000' after 5 min.

On contacting NORCAL I got, Climb 4000', on leaving 2100' right 090. Then I
got own navigation and cleared to 7000'. Around Hollister I got cleared to
9000'.

Got an ammended clearance between just before FLW VOR on V485

"Cleared SMO, V485 OHIGH, then FERNANDO FIVE ARRIVAL, maintain 9000'

Before I got to OHIGH, I was cleared direct FIM (Fillmore VOR is back in
service)

Then got cleared down to 7000' & 5000' just passed VNY I got a couple of
vectors and a clearance the VOR-A approach into SMO.

Made a straight in approach to 21 at SMO.

Leg 2 SMO to SBP

Filed: RV SADDE V299 VTU V25 RZS V12 GVO V27 MQO SBP DIRECT
Clearance from 21 at SMO: to SBP, fly runway heading to intercept LAX R315,
then right 270, RV VTU, RZS then as filed, Climb 3000' expect 8000' after 5
min.

LA Approach cleared me to 6000', then "direct VTU when able".

After VTU I was given another ammended route "V25 RZS then direct MQO"
(skipped the GVO VOR, more direct off victor airways)

Flew that without problems and made a visual straight in approach to SBP.

Leg 3 SBP to RHV:

Filed: CREPE3.PRB V113 ROM V485 LICKE RHV DIRECT
Clearance from 29 at SBP: to RHV, CREPE3.PRB then as filed.

Basically exactly the route I filed, I flew it without change until I
started getting vectored for a visual into 31R at RHV.