Old November 27th 15, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default Is FLARM helpful?

At 06:34 27 November 2015, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I thought there were two posts worth repeating below and hope everyone
take=
s an honest look. Steve's post was poignant. I did hear the contest
committ=
ee will require Flarm in stealth mode at contests, if you have one.

Shouldn't preserving life be our highest goal, even more important than
win=
ning a contest or being annoyed by the theoretical possibility of someone
l=
eaching for a few thermals? =20

This has been done over a thousand times. If you want a super safe
competition don't leave the ground.

Competition in gliders is inherently dangerous. But, Flarm or not, it is
not probable that you will have a fatal accident. Competition pilots weigh
up risk all the time and understand that by taking part they are taking a
risk.

The risk is small and made smaller by the use of Flarm. We should not avoid
risk as our highest goal. We should aim to collectively enjoy the sport
with an appropriate level of risk - mitigated by Flarm.

I believe Flarm should be mandated in competition and also believe it
should be used in stealth mode to allow handling and soaring skill to be
more relevant than radar reading and tactical flying.

Jim