Old September 2nd 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

Mxsmanic wrote:

From the NTSB and several books on the subject.

Have a name of one of these books that claims that aviation communication
is the leading cause of aviation accidents?

It's routine in linguistics to unconsciously guess. A person
listening to familiar sounds in a familiar context will "fill in the
blanks" for any sounds that cannot be unambiguously distinguished, and
he will do this without thinking.

You imply that this is a very common occurrence. Sorry, but I am unable to
accept your premise without some evidence to back up this claim.

If he guesses wrong, trouble can
result, and accidents have happened in aviation for this reason (the
most famous probably being the one at Tenerife).

My understanding of the accident at Tenerife is that it had more to do with
a fateful heterodyne and a captain who was asserting his own way, rather
than misunderstood communications.

--
Peter