Old February 22nd 05, 12:37 AM

Agreed. A pilot should be the master of both. And I believe the first
step in that direction is to divorce these two maneuvers, slips and
skids, from any discussion of "compensating" for a crosswind. These are
alignment maneuvers only, each having its relative merits.
Don Johnstone wrote:
First , sorry for the kick off the drift, you are absolutely
right.
I have used both methods and in a high wing glider
with the tips well clear of the ground wings level
I would agree the wing down (slipping) method is OK.
Even in a 15 metre glass glider I would accept that
it is a matter of choice. Big wings, especially where
the wing is already low is a different matter. I would
rather make an untidy arrival than catch a wingtip.
The lesser of two evils and I KNOW which is lesser
in that case. Remember the force required at the wingtip
to induce a ground loop reduces in proportion to the
increase in span. With full flap deployed the roll
rate is not exactly sparkling either.

Both should be taught, it then becomes a matter of
choice for the pilot, what he is most comfortable with.
I am not saying my way is better but it works for me.

At 17:30 21 February 2005, J.A.M. wrote:
Excuse me... I slip for crosswind correction on final,
rather than crab
(wich I assume is to correct the wind with heading;
sorry, english is not my
native language).
I find it more effective as the fuselage is already
aligned with the runway,
and a more elegant manouevre as well.
I live in Spain. Does it count as Europe?
A lot of people does it here. I teach both methods,
being crab easier to
grasp at the beggining, slipping more effective and
elegant when the student
becomes proficient, IMHO.

Jose M. Alvarez.
ASW-24 'BR'

At 12:30 21 February 2005, Bert Willing wrote:
Additionally, if you don't crab to stay centered during
final, you stalling
speed will be higher. I never saw anybody slipping
for wind correction in a
glider in Europe...

--
Bert Willing