Old May 10th 20, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Turkey Vulture

Default LX Era 80 vs S80/S100

I have my S100 set to GPS auto-mode w/ the initial gyro sensing your pull up and turn to lift. It beats my PDA in switching every time. It switches within the first 1/4 turn of the circle to "climb" mode and quickly switches back to "cruise" mode when leaving the circle.

I have the Netto displayed in numeric form in "cruise". It works very well and the 4-second averager setting feels about right.
Netto displayed on your primary vario is a wonderful tool for XC flight.

I never touch the unit or switch anything during flight and have not felt like I needed to. It's completely in tune and switches between flight modes quickly.

Nonetheless, you guys have me considering the dedicated control stick. I'm not in love with my stock grip. The stock grip seems like it's welded on there. Is removal difficult?

I have the S100 set to my TE probe (no electronic compensation) and it's now a very true and reliable device. I highly recommend the S100. It's a great do-everything vario and will improve your efficiency in flight.