Old August 12th 03, 10:16 PM
Russell Kent

Jay Honeck wrote:

Yeah, I paid 20c a gallon more to encourage the other guys to come back

again.
And, they promised us AUTOGAS next year.

We were somewhat aggravated by the fact that the EAA greeters were
trumpeting the fact that BOTH FBOs were charging $1.99 per gallon. Since
this was the case, we opted to give the new guys on the block, Orion, our
business.

Imagine our surprise to find out that we'd been the victims of "bait &
switch" (inadvertently, I suppose, by the EAA) when we had to pay $2.10 per
gallon before departing! The lady in the booth apologized profusely, and
offered the somewhat lame excuse that "they had *asked* the EAA to stop
spreading that information". Of course, I had personally spoken with the
Orion truck driver as he filled the plane, and joked about the $1.99 price
that they were "both charging". He conveniently never mentioned anything
different to me...

Jay, I'd write a letter to Orion. I personally saw a $1.89 sign on the Orion
truck on the South end of the field. I presume that was per gallon 100LL, but
then again the sign said only "$1.89". BTW, the Orion truck's sign appeared
several days into the show (Friday August 1, IIRC), many days after Basler's
"$1.99" sign appeared on its truck. Days prior to that, I had seen Orion's
price posted on their kiosk as $2.19 and no sign whatsoever on their truck.
Perhaps you filled up early?

Ah, well -- if they get autogas next year, all is forgiven!

Early in the show (actually, Monday July 28, IIRC) I personally visited the
Orion booth on the South end of the field and asked about mogas availability.
After explaining that mogas = autogas = that stuff you put in the Chevy, they
called someone to see if they had it. After determining that they didn't, I
explained about the EAA and Petersen STC's and the use of auto conversion
engines, and bluntly suggested that carrying mogas next year might engender
quite a lot of goodwill. We'll see.

Russell Kent