Old September 19th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default What's gonna happen to CAP?

On Sep 19, 12:24 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Ron Lee" wrote:
...there is NO (zip, nada) mandate for GA to transition to 406 MHz
ELTs.

True, but:

http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/phaseout.html

If I'm down, I want a satellite to pick up the beacon, pronto.

It remains to be seen how 121.5 signals will be detected if the gov't
stops looking for them. However, from having hunted for ELTs myself
CAP can find them every single time. There is no concern what-so-ever
that the 121.5 isn't specific enough as to location. Yes, you often
have to have aircraft up to narrow down the signal location but we
often hide ELTs around the state and then send training crews up to
find them and I'm not aware of anytime a crew of air and group crews
could not find an ELT located under any rock anywhere in the state.

-Robert