Old May 31st 11, 01:32 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

You've pretty much described how our local commercial operation does
it. Most of the time it works as planned but a problem arises when
the natural rhythm of soaring gets out of sync with the schedule.
It's tough to make gliders work to a schedule. If some people have
expectations otherwise, they can get irritated. Schedules just set
people up to be disappointed.

IMVHO, a better solution is a simple start queue operated on a first
come, first served basis. School gliders, rides, private ships get
just in line and launch in that order. A queue is easy to
understand. The rules are simple too. If a pilot isn't ready when
the tug is, he gets pushed out of line and goes to the rear. Don't
get in the queue unless you're ready to fly. Most of all, don't
'crash' the line.

XC types who want a noon launch can finesse the queue by entering it
at a time calculated to bring them to the front at noon. The queue
will be filled with XC gliders around mid-day but that's OK if it fits
everyone's expectations. Training and rides work better in the
smoother air of early morning and late afternoon anyway.[/quote]

The simple start queue idea is a good one but remember, the commercial operator is trying to maximize the school rental/training/ride revenue producing function and still satisfy the private owners.

The real problem is a lack of people available to help out in the various tasks required. Towing a rental to the staging area, wing walkers or drivers, hookup crew and the like. It would be nice to have an extra tow pilot on occasion but the cost is most likely prohibitive. My guess is that many of these operations in this economy are running close to the margins. When they stop meeting the taxes, insurance, maintenance, salaries, upkeep and other fixed and variable expenses then we might find ourselves looking at a cow pasture. I don't want that to happen.

Walt