Old September 27th 12, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

Dne Ĩetrtek, 27. september 2012 02:07:47 UTC+2 je oseba waremark napisala:
On Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:00:04 AM UTC+1, Chris Davison wrote:

My vote goes for the first technology that can be fitted to a Libelle!

And I only want a system which can provide enough power to self-launch an 18m or larger glider, and have sufficient power left for a relight and/or a long retrieve. Which today means a combustion engine.

But I have to say that if I did not want self-launch, either the FES or the Jet would seem overwhelmingly better than the Turbo. For me it would be the jet because I don't like the idea of even a little drag from the prop, and I feel uneasy about having a mechanism in front of my feet - but it would have to be a jet which gives a good rate of climb, which if I understood correctly pretty much means a JS1 or an HP304.

Video of LAK17A FES takeoff using 120m of rope and Auto tow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTeNK...layer_embedded