Old October 20th 04, 06:53 AM
Howard

I've been an aviation insurance underwriter for seven year now and I still
don't understand how some of these people come up with their underwriting
guidelines.

The problem is many companies don't actually analyze their loss data, they
make knee-jerk reactions to statistically meaningless events. One company I
worked for suffered three losses with fatalities on Commander 114s in a
period of about 9 months. They decided the airplane was high risk and
nearly stopped writing them. Never mind the fact that in two of the three
accidents the cause was pilot error (one was CFIT the other was loss of
control at slow airspeed).

You'll probably find that every insurance company has it's quirks. Some
won't allow student pilots in Cessna 182s. Some won't write Twins over 25
years old but they'll happily write 60 year old single engine aircraft.
Some will insure helicopters used for flight training, but won't insure
fixed wing aircraft used for flight training. Go figure.

J. Howard

"Dave" wrote in message
m...
I've got about 750 Total Time, 50 complex, 100 IFR. Private, IFR,
Commercially rated.

I have no multi time, but am about to go to a school to get it. They
estimate 10-12 hours in my log book when I finish my checkride. So,
in research mode I asked my agent to get me some rates on Senecas and
C310s in the $150-$175K range. She came back and said, even with an
instructor by my side, they won't insure me. Period. So, she asked
them at what hours would they insure me - here's what they gave her
(in the most vague of terms) -

Seneca - 100 hours multi with at least 50 in type
C310 - 50 hours multi, 10 in type

Huh?? Someone explain that one. I thought the 310 would be a higher
risk for them. No C/R props, flies faster and higher, etc. And, all
my time is in Pipers, including a lot in the Saratoga, so I'm familiar
with the cabin, panel, layout, etc. That probably means nothing,
though, except in my mind.