Old March 20th 18, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Thomson[_2_]

Default Mainwheel bearing service / greasing?

At 21:45 20 March 2018, Charlie M. UH & 002 owner/pilot wrote:
I would hazard a guess that by the time almost ANYONE gets 500 wheel

miles
on a sailplane wheel bearing, the airframe is long gone, even if someone
rebuilds a 2-33 a few times (reference another thread about a "new" 2-33
for $75,000US).
;-).

Not true, actually. Our ASK21s do over 2000 launches per year, and have
done for the past 20 years. If you count tow-outs from the hangar,
retrieve to the launch point after landing, etc then 500 miles per year is

achievable. We look at the bearings each year, but we don't work out the

mileage!