Old March 21st 18, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 2:22:16 PM UTC-7, teck48 wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm 65 and fairly active. I'm a hobby glider pilot. And small dinghy sailor. I make videos and do a lot of computer and writing work.

I'm extremely near sighted but not astigmatic. I'm a fussy ******* about glasses, but once these replacement lenses are implanted it's a bit late to be fussy....

–Tom

The multifocal contact lenses come with a prescription correction for far field vision, so they correct that at the same time. It should give you an idea of how your new lenses will work.

I wear one multifocal contact lens while flying or anytime I'm out and around. This lets me see the instrument panel, charts, phone, menu or whatever. My distance vision is still better than 20/20 with it in. The contact lens is a bit of a PITA (in, out, and care), so if I had cataracts I would do the multifocal lens replacement, but I'd shop carefully. I've tried about 5 different types of multifocal contacts, and some certainly worked better (for me) than others.

I've found a pair of sunglasses that I like for flying with or without the multifocal lens. The reason I like them over others I've tried is that the bifocal cheater can be ordered larger and higher than most (which covers the instrument panel better without the neck craning) and they are also available in gradient shading, which keeps from shading the instrument panel. They are available with a prescription correction if you need it.

https://flyingeyesoptics.com/product...on-rx-bifocal/