Old May 7th 05, 11:08 AM
David Cartwright

"Tom Fleischman" k wrote in
message
news:2005050607023016807%bodhijunkoneeightyeightju nkatmacdotcom@junkjunk...
Let's see, you are maybe a few hundred feet above the ground in the clouds
when you get a low altitude alert and new altimeter setting from the
tower. Multiple choice: a) you acknowledge the tower call, look over to
the other side of the cockpit to check the altimeter setting, look at the
approach plate, calm down the student pilot in the right seat and say, in
about 14 seconds, hit the cumulogranite; or b) you add power and climb in
a go-around, realizing something is wrong and sort it out at a safe
altitude.

I've kinda been there in an IMC training flight (in proper IMC). The reports
and the tower said the cloudbase was 800 feet, and althought the instruments
were telling us everything was normal (i.e. glideslope, DME and altimeter
cross-matched), we still couldn't see civilisation at 500 feet. We took
option (b) - up is a very good way to go until you know what's going on.

D.