Old July 25th 05, 03:50 AM

I wrote an article about "Give a Better Glider Ride" in the April 2004
issue of "Soaring" magazine, that was well received.

Here's a few tips: Consider not making the glider ride into a soaring
flight. Five shallow turns in a thermal at most - then work "lift
streets". The initial glider ride should be about 15-20 minutes, and
in the cool, calm air of the morning. Constant turning under a bit of
"G" and seeing the world go 'round every 20 seconds may not be a happy
introduction to the joy of soaring. If they liked the short flight,
then take them up again for the soaring flight, later in the day.

Of course, if you are not flying coordinated, you are making them
uncomfortable, and if you are talking too much - trying to explain the
concepts of the yaw string, glider aerodynamics, thermals, etc. to them
- then you are not allowing them to enjoy the quiet, and make their own
adjustments to the new sensations.

In 38 years of giving thousands of glider rides, I've made less than 10
passengers sick. Think about how new it must be to your passenger in
every sensory aspect. Give them time to adjust and they will be back
for more.

If you are not an instructor, I'd be careful about having them fly the
glider. (Just the stick, as the rudder is more than they need to know
about at first. Read Derek Piggott's chapter for instructors in his
book, "Gliding Safety" and how to teach turns.) 'Telling passengers
where to look - out at the horizon is OK, as long as the rate of turn
is slow.

You are to be commended for wanting to share soaring with your
passengers, but consider sharing it a small piece at a time. Too much
candy makes one sick!

Try to look up that article in April 2004 "Soaring", or I can email it
as a file.

Burt Compton
Marfa Gliders, west Texas USA
www.flygliders.com