Old June 13th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

Default ethanol question

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:23:31 GMT, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote in message
.. .

Phase separation is temperature dependent.
If the water content of the fuel is borderline at 70F and you go up
3000 feet the 54F temperature may cause the water and ethanol to drop
out.

Why is this not a problem in cars? They can see a considerable temperature
swing between night and day, and I have yet to see a problem caused by ethanol.
(Not to say it has never happened, it is just not on my radar screen. Educate
me.)

Vaughn

It happens.
However, MOST cars on the road today have SEALED fuel systems, so
condensation is not a major issue.
I know of NO aircraft with sealed fuel suystems.