Old August 16th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Collision alert!

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:26:35 GMT, Jose
wrote in :

it would appear, that Mr. Copeland's
aircraft did indeed have the right-of-way by virtue of being to the
right of the NORDO aircraft.

I'm a little confused here. The encounter was head-on or nearly so, no?

Not at first when the NORDO aircraft was westbound and Mr. Copeland
was on a heading of 170 degrees.

And the right of way rules apply to non-head-on approaches. So, how
did you "turn to pass behind" somebody who was nearly head on?

I suppose, if the aircraft is approaching from 90 degrees abeam, you
turn toward it so as to pass behind it.

Unfortunately, it appears that the NORDO PIC chose that moment to
change course turning toward Mr. Copeland. It was at that point, that
there was a head-on situation, if my analysis is correct.