Old November 3rd 04, 04:41 PM
Newps

NW_PILOT wrote:
I may have to go to the Regina, SK, CA/Minnesota area this winter for 2
months.

First Is Snow How Deep Before Ski's Are Needed?

Depends on the plane and the tires you have. I have landed my 182 in a
few inches.

Ware to obtain ski's for a
cessna 150?

That's funny, ski's on a 150. A 150 can barely get out of its own way.

Best Type of Oil Heater?

You'll need a nose mitten first, no matter what type of heater you get.
You only need an oil pan heater. I have two on my 182. I can use one
or both at the same time, depending on the OAT. At zero degrees F and
both heaters plugged in the oil will be 100F and each cylinder will be
80F.

Should One Use a Cowl Warmer?

There's no reason to get an electric one, it's an inefficient way to heat.

I Notice in the manual something about a winterization Kit Can I
install/uninstall it my self?

That is a foam insulator that goes over the breather pipe. Get that at
your local hardware store. It also is two plates that get mount on the
front of the cowl, restricting the airflow. I made mine last year.
Found someone who had them and traced a copy for my self.

Can you still buy the winterization kit?

You might but they're really expensive from Cessna. Just make your own.

Any Tips For Landing on Ice And Snow!

Snow is fun. You'll make great landings. Ice is easy too. Just don't
be trying to stop quick or manuever.

Any Extra Pre-Flight Inspections Needed For Extreme Cold Weather

Make sure the gas quick drains still work. They'll freeze shut if
there's even a hint of water. To heat the interior, if you have
electricity available, leave a 60 or 100 watt light bulb turned on on
the fllor of the pilots side. The heat will warm the instruments and
make the interior a little warmer.