Old April 17th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

Default Altimeter Question

On Apr 18, 1:29*am, Stefan wrote:
Larry Dighera schrieb:

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbar

Mbar would be a tad much. You certainly meant mbar.

* What does QNH stand for?
* Atmospheric Pressure (Q) at Nautical Height (aviation)

Bull****. QNH is *not* an acronym. It's one of over hundred Q-Codes
which were defined in the stone age of radio telephony. The letters were
randomly chosen, think of it as a numeration. Most of those Q-Codes are
forgotten today, but a few still live. In aviation, I mean in aviation
in all coutries except the USA, QNH, QFE and QNH are used to define
different altitude settings (roughly spoken).

QNH stands for the pressure you must tune in the kollmans window to have
the altimeter display the airport elevation when the airplane sits on
the ground. (As opposed to QFE, which ist the pressure to set for the
alitmeter to display zero on the ground and QNE, which is the altitude
which the alitmeter shows on the ground when it is set to standard
atmosphere.)

For those who believe in Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-code

QNH means query Newquay Harbour which was the British reference for
sea level.
It should give the atmospheric pressure at that dtaum -but I doubt
that the met offices bother to check what the actual height of that
datum is...

Cheers