Old March 14th 04, 01:19 AM
Eric Greenwell

Mark James Boyd wrote:
Well, some of the power accidents are just newer pilots that
weren't trained to properly react to the horn. In some
I suspect the horn wasn't even working (I've been surprised by
failed horn a few times).

The airspeed idea is good (better than nothing) but doesn't
tell the AOA at both wingtips,

This probably won't be useful for landing, since the selected airspeed
should be high enough to make the AOA at the tips irrelevant.

and doesn't seem to account for the
G loading in a tight turn.

Take another look: both the DSI and the 302 have accelerometers that let
them account for G loading. Anyway, the stall/spins typically aren't
from tight turns, but shallow ones.

Also, as another poster pointed out,
the horn detects gusts, which is pretty useful IMHO.

I think any gusts that affect your landing will be readily apparent as
the glider twitches and bobs in response to them. Certainly they are
noted by the pilot while thermalling.

Maybe it's time to give airspeed alerts in the pattern a chance.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA