Old June 26th 05, 01:14 AM
Chris Gadsby

Chris Reed wrote:

One of my favourite exercises for my annual checkouts as a UK Basic
Instructor is the spin off a simulated winch launch (only try this at
height with an appropriate instructor with you!). Simulate a winch
launch by diving to 90 kt and then pulling up at 45 degrees. As the
speed drops to about 60 kt cry "BANG - cable break", and push over into
the normal flying attitude. The moment normal attitude is reached, begin
a co-ordinated turn.

I've recently been doing this as a student and personally I found it a very
valuable lesson as (a) it required no "forcing" from the instructor to initiate
the spin and (b) it makes you realise how quickly you can transition from an
apparently normal flying attitude into a serious situation.

Chris Gadsby