Old August 27th 08, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Default GPS-NAV security sealing

A few comments on this thread;

- A reseal is not a recalibration. A recalibration might include a
reseal.
- The $140 (in my case) for NK is to do a complete recalibration
(required by FAI/SSA every 2 years). What does a recalibration do?
As far as I know it doesn't change anything in the recorder. It only
reviews how the pressure altimeter (versus GPS altimeter) relates to
reality. The recalibration process is to put the recorder into a
barometric (hyperbaric) chamber, then change the pressure in the
chamber to preset altitudes, get the recorder's altitude reading and
finally produce a report of any altitude offsets. NK also changes the
battery on GPS-NAVs (which means that they unseal and reseal the
unit?). Is there anything else that is done during a recalibration?
If so it does seem kind of pricey. But then I don't know how much a
barometric chamber costs these days.
- Craggy Aero's cost of $40 (plus s/h) is for a reseal only. Why do
recorders get unsealed? Physical tampering/opening or mechanical
failure are my only thoughts. Are there other possibilities?
- Resealing via the Internet? I'm up for that. But what seems easy to
implement probably isn't in a secure fashion (PC Anywhere
nonwithstanding). In reality there just isn't enough need for reseals
to pay for the development necessary to make this happen...with every
manufacturer...and get FAI approval to do so.
- About why we need all this damned security anyway (from the
Newbie). No doubt there have been cases of tampering with the
evidence, human nature being what it is. I can also imagine that
during the migration from mechanical recorders to electronic
recorders, there was a fear that electronics were more suseptible to
tampering. Mechanical recorders seem more secure because you can SEE
what they are doing. It's called resistance to change which is rather
rampant in the aviation field. Thus they chose to set the security
bar high. How high? You can't open the device without tripping the
unsealed flag. I guess I don't call that too invasive.
- How can Craggy (and others) do a reseal or recalibration but not us
regular Joes? Craggy has been blessed by the manufacturer similar to
being an authorized service center. He also has the proper
equipment. I believe for a reseal, he also has to call the
manufacturer to get a code. Could he get in cahoots with someone to
fake a world record? It would take some pretty good technical skill
to tamper with things, but if you could, consider the fame and
fortune!! Yeah. Right.
- I may be a heretic to say so but is a recalibration really
necessary? Hmmmm. I don't see an OLC rule requiring it. Do they ask
for calibration documentation at regional, national or world
competitions? For badges you are requested to send in a copy of the
recalibration report (less than 2 years old as of the date of the
flight). However, you can wait up to 1 month AFTER your epic flight
to get the recalibration done. Strange but true. My calibration is
due next Feb. However, I am unlikely to need it any time soon unless
I get a lucky break and make a gold leg. I will probably wait until
after my next epic badge flight. I am less clear about the rules
surrounding records.
- Is a reseal really necessary? I would have to say yes. A broken
security seal marks the IGC file as forever bad. No amount of
resealing or recalibration will fix that. This means that you epic
flight is toast and only good for vicarious reliving of your past
glories in SeeYou.

My $0.02.

- John DeRosa