Old November 22nd 05, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Yesterday's IFR flight with questions

Nick Kliewer wrote:
I wonder, if you had enough altitude after breaking out below, would it be
advisable to perform a gentle power-off stall to find out what your new stall
speed is with the ice? Or would the new stall characteristics be so
unpredictable as to make the aircraft unstable?

There's no way in hell I'd do that. Take a lesson from the last time I flew in
such heavy rain that the airspeed indicator became grossly inaccurate: slow
down to your usual speed paying particular attention as it decelerates. If it
starts feeling sloppy, you need more power. If you don't have enough power, you
were going to crash anyway.

Think of the last time you did slow flight... you remember how it just slopped
along? That's bad. Tight controls; that's good. Feel for the ground after
arriving with normally tight controls... perfect.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE