Old July 5th 07, 10:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default I had 2 DUI's about 6 years ago, is it realistic for me to become a commercial pilot?

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 02:53:25 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote in :

but word is that the FAA is wanting to get real strict about how they handle
DUI's and pilots.

Anyone else remember anything about that? I think it was in the last two
weeks, and I read it in AvWeb.

It looks like it's the NTSB:

NTSB WANTS MORE OVERSIGHT OF SUBSTANCE-DEPENDENT PILOTS
(http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#195496)
The FAA needs to do more to ensure that pilots dependent on
substances such as drugs and alcohol are properly evaluated by
aviation medical examiners, the NTSB said
(http://www.ntsb.gov/recs/letters/2007/A07_41_43.pdf) on Monday. A
number of aircraft accidents have occurred when the pilot's
substance dependence was relevant to the cause, according to the
Safety Board. The NTSB said the FAA should require pilots to
provide copies of arrest reports and court records to their
examiner prior to clinical evaluation. Those records, it added,
should be kept on file in the Aerospace Medical Certification
Division, where they can be accessed in regard to any application
for a medical certificate. Also, airmen who have been clinically
diagnosed with substance dependence, including dependence on
alcohol, should be medically certified only under a
special-issuance waiver, the NTSB said.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#195496