Old July 31st 14, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default PW-5 Brake Cable Replacement

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:44:24 AM UTC-6, wrote:
To All,

The brake on our PW-5 has failed. The brake cable end that attaches to the hand brake handle came loose from the handle.

The cable was attached to a pin that fits into the brake handle. The steel pin is retained in the brake handle by a snap ring. The pin was evidently soldered or welded onto the steel cable.

Has anyone experienced such a failure? If so, how did you go about replacing and installing the cable?

We have purchased a replacement cable from Poland but it arrived with only a single swagged ball at one end. Trying to weld or solder the existing pin onto the new cable seems to be a very risky proposition.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Charley

Likely to be some form of a motorcycle brake or clutch cable. Best to find an old fashion motorcycle shop and see if they can find or make a cable for you. The newer shops only know how to look up part number so are not much help.