Old December 27th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

Default Hmmm a BD5J with zero hours FS

I doubt you will find a URL. SOES is the Station Operations and Engineering
Squadron. I worked there from 1979 to 1981 maintaining their CH-46A SAR
birds.

Oh, wait a sec. I see why you can't find it. It's been renamed and is now
VMR-1.

http://www.cherrypoint.usmc.mil/mcabe/vmr1/vmr1.asp

Look at the history page, you'll see this is what used to be SOES.

They now have HH-46D's. Looks like they finally upgraded sometime after I
left for MCAS(H) Tustin in Southern California and was assigned to HMM-161
until I got out in 1982. They are also listed as having UC-12B King Air's,
but that's not what we had when I was there, back then they had Piper
Apache's, I forget the designationm U-something too. There were rumors they
were going to be replaced with the King Air's but when I left they had not
arrived. We already had the C-9B's and we also had some T-39 Sabreliners for
VIP transport.

This was our hangar. I assume it still is, there's one of the C-9B sitting
at its usual parking spot on the ramp.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...06781&t=k&om=1

This is a picture I took on the ramp in 1981, if I remember correctly. Been
a while. Look at the discussion page for the image, a Marine who currently
works for VMR-1 saw it and commented on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CH46-At-SOES.jpg

Juan

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .
Can you provide a link URL? I searched on the MCAS Cherry Point Website
with no luck (since I don't know what SOES is...searching with that turned
up a Sony Online Entertainment tribute). Searching with your name only
turned up 3 hits...all in 2003-2004.

Scott

Juan Jimenez wrote:

Tell you what, if you ever grow balls large enough, go check the records
of SOES, circa 1979 through 1981, at MCAS Cherry Point. In fact, check
out the records of a medevac mission in 1981 involving a mom who had just
given birth and was hemorraging, and the preemie to which she had just
given birth. Then check out the comments of the (at the time,
double-digit midget) Vietnam-vet crew chief on the aircraft that took
them from Cherry Point to the main hospital at Lejeune.

Go ahead, putz. I dare ya. But don't worry, I don't hold my breath for
all bark, no bite keyboard cowards like you.