Old May 29th 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
VOR-DME[_3_]

Default Fed: Planes flying in "commercial" airspace must get GPS

In fairness to MX I think he meant that in the event of GPS unavailability,
airliners would be able to resort to their INS navigators, which small planes
do not have. I am not sure though that airliners will continue to be equipped
with INS systems after NextGen implementation, and even if they are this is
not good enough, as it cannot reliably provide better than RNP 1.0 and has no
approach capability. Many were hoping that LORAN-C would be retained and even
developed as a backup, but that was dashed recently when the system was
definitively abandoned. VOR’s are costly to maintain, and the FAA wants to
move away from them as quickly as possible (going back to my statement that
Victor airways are obsolescent and pilots so equipped should be filing \G as
much as possible already).

It could be that the best backup for GPS will be other satellite-based
structures, GONASS or soon to be GALILEO.

In article
,
says...

If the satellite system is jammed it's just not ONLY going to affect
small engine airplanes. I use the very same satellites in my Garmin
430 and 296 as the airliners do.