Old December 23rd 19, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Ventus 2b vs ASW27b ..Which is the better / nicer aircraft?

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 5:51:41 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 8:33:12 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Hypothetical situation:
Same condition
Same trailer
Same instruments and accessories
Which is the better ship for strong western thermal racing conditions?
Why?
Thanks in advance for those in the know!

I found myself faced with the same question three years ago between the Ventus 2b and the ASW27b. I had several friends with the ASW27, so I was inclined to buy a 27 too. After sitting in both cockpits, I found the Ventus 2b to be much more comfortable for my size - 6' 1" and 185lbs. I had much more leg room in the Ventus 2b and actually had to pull the pedals towards me for a comfortable fit. In the 27, I had to push the pedals out all the way and still couldn't extend my legs completely. So my decision was easy strictly based on comfort for long flights.

Michael 8U

Six of one half dozen of another. I have owned and flown both SH and AS gliders. They have a different feel and different engineering ideas. Some like the easy of how SH gliders climb. Some like the finish engineering of AS and how they run, land short. My favorite glider ever was my Nimbus 4, just seemed how a glider should be in every way. I really hated the side hinged canopy on my V2C while assembling or if I wanted to leave open for a second while I retrieved something out of trailer or car. That V2C could climb on almost nothing and could run.