Old May 12th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

Default Terminology Ques: 5 mile turn vs. delay vectors

"Gerald S." wrote in message
t...

The other day I was doing multiple approaches under the hood. I needed an
extra minute or two to setup for the next approach and requested a "5 mile
turn." From my understanding, this means that while on downwind to not
turn me until 5 miles from the FAF. The controller didn't understand. I
thought maybe he didn't hear me clearly so I repeated a "requesting a 5
mile turn." He said, "I don't know what that is." I then said, "let me
try this, how about delay vectors." That did the trick. I thought a "X
mile turn" is standard terminology. Is it not?

Not.