Old May 15th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Brad[_1_]

Default Terminology Ques: 5 mile turn vs. delay vectors

On May 12, 5:29 pm, "Gerald S." wrote:
The other day I was doing multiple approaches under the hood. I needed
an extra minute or two to setup for the next approach and requested a "5
mile turn." From my understanding, this means that while on downwind to
not turn me until 5 miles from the FAF. The controller didn't
understand. I thought maybe he didn't hear me clearly so I repeated a
"requesting a 5 mile turn." He said, "I don't know what that is." I
then said, "let me try this, how about delay vectors." That did the
trick. I thought a "X mile turn" is standard terminology. Is it not?

Gerald Sylvester

I'm a CFII, and I've never heard it phrased that way. Could be a
local thing. My request would sound something like: "Blahba Approach,
Skyhawk 123YZ requesting ILS 36 approach Hooterville; requesting
vectors for a 5 mile intercept prior to FAF (the name of the Final
Approach fix)"