Old September 1st 03, 11:26 AM
The Raven

"Boyan Brezinsky" wrote in message
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I have to ask, so please
bear with me.
Has the thrust vectoring capability of the Harrier been used in air-to-
air combat?

I don't believe "viffing" has ever been used in combat although it has been
used in training etc.

If yes, how? Please, no smart answers like "yes, in
providing forward speed".

Mostly for decreasing the radius of a turn.

I've seen a reference to a book that claims it
has not been used due to loss of energy, which makes perfect sense.

It does, but if the target is in front of you it's probably useful.

Then, I've seen a suggestion of using changing thrust to downward while
at the top of a loop, thus tighting the loop.

I believe this, according to my references, is "viffing". I'm guessing the
term is based on "vectoring in flight".

Although this seems
feasible, it still somehow doesn't feel right.

In a dogfight it may be useful but, how common are dogfights

Could you please provide some references? Preferably on the Internet,
since I don't have access to books (like the abovementioned "The Story
of Air Fighting" by Air Vice Marshall J. E. Johnson).
Thanks!
Boyan

Sorry, one reference packed in a box I can't get to.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3