Old August 7th 03, 10:44 AM
Matt Wiser

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:
"Lawrence Dillard"
wrote in message

Can anyone tell me the system by which USN

Aircraft Carrier
deployments were named or numbered during

the Viet Nam era?; and if
so, what was the name by which the last 'carrier

deployment was known?
Thanks for any info.

There are lists of deployments he

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/ordbat.htm

http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-vol1/Appendx3.pdf

There was no numbering or naming scheme per
se. Battlegroups are named for
the carrier around which they are formed, and
each deployment is usually
described by its dates and destination, but
the latter is unofficial. One
might refer to the Enteprise battlegroup's 1968
Westpac (western pacific)
cruise but I odn't think there was any official
code name for sequence
number for that deployment.

I'll leave it to someone else to figure out
whaich was the final Vietnam
deplyment -- there are a couple of differnt
ways to decide that (last combat
missions, last overflights, etc.)

--
Tom Schoene Replace "invalid"
with "net" to e-mail

Wouldn't the carriers participating in the Saigon evacuation and the Myaguez
rescue be the last deployments? There were four carriers for Saigon: Coral
Sea and Enterprise to cover the evac, and Enterprise had the first two F-14
squadrons on that cruise; plus Midway and Hancock as helo carriers for the
USAF and Marines. Coral Sea flew strikes during the Myaguez incident later
on.