Old June 23rd 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default audio panel/impedance mismatch question

Thanks Mr. Borchert!

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Dlevy,

here you go, courtesy of Dave Katz way back:

If you have any
soldering skills, pick up a couple of 8/1000 ohm matching transformers
and a male/male mini-plug cable from Radio Shack. It's a minor
impedance mismatch problem. I put one together for my Cirrus and it
boosts volume by more than enough, and it's completely passive so
there's no batteries or other stuff. One of my fellow Cirrus brethren
came up with a great packaging hack--a small prescription pill bottle
is big enough to hold everything. Drill a hole in the bottom and in
the lid, tie knots for strain relief, and it's all quite tidy, if a
mite funny looking.

Yep, one for each side if you want stereo. The low impedance side
(red/white) goes to the audio device, and the high impedance side
(green/blue) goes to the Garmin. You can snip off the black center
tap on the high side. I hooked the white and green leads to the
common (sleeve) connections on each side, but I don't suppose that
it matters so long as you're consistent (so you don't phase-reverse
one side.)

They were the only transformers for sale at the Radio Shack at which I
got mine. They may just be called "audio transformers" or somesuch,
but
it'll say 8 ohm/1000 ohm on the packaging.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)