Old September 20th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fortunat1[_2_]

Default Rosettes was:Repairing a well-rusted cluster?

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Fortunat1" wrote in message

While we're on the subject, I have a question about Rosette welds.
With the
specified hole size in realtion to the thickness of the metal, I have
a hard time getting the metal underneath to heat up enough to melt
before I blow away the metal on top. I have preheated the innner
piece as much as possible and this does produce better results, but
It's still a bit hit and
miss. Is there a trick? Smaller tip? Bigger?

I would think that you need less heat and more patience. I'm not the
world's greatest gas welder, but until someone else that is comes
along and says something, I'll give it a shot.

I think you need much less heat. If you concentrate the heat on the
inner tube, and get a molten puddle going, you can then make the rose
shape in a pattern around a point in the middle of the hole.

It does not take that much heat to get the puddle going. If you
concentrate a small flame on the middle, the rod will slowly melt into
the puddle. If it isn't kinda' slow, your flame is too big, or too
hot. A good molten puddle filling in the hole will get the outsides
of the outer tube's hole molten, and blend into the rose.

Does that make sense to you?

Not only makes sense. It seems to work just fine.
Not so much the less heat, but the more patience part. One of the
problems I was having was I tended to chicken out when the edges of the
outer tube started getting soggy. This time I just ignored that and went
in as close as possible to the base tube and held it there until I
started getting one big puddle. At that point I started a circle with
the rod and voila!

Thanks!