Old March 12th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xxx

Default Turn to Final - Keeping Ball Centered

No, certainly not.

Stall speed increases dramatically with angle of bank: the more
vertical your wings become, the less horizontal lift they supply for a
given air speed.

You can definitely stall with the ball centered. This is true
regardless of bank angle. If you do stall below TPA (like when turning
base to final) your odds of auguring in are high no matter how neatly
centered your ball was when you initiated the stall.

On Mar 11, 8:23 pm, skym wrote:
While making a turn to base and final recently, I was aware that I was
going to be wide with my normal turn from downwind through base to
final, so I banked more to keep as close to the runway centerline as
possible. I kept thinking about the infamous and usually fatal stall/
spin by some pilots in this situation, I kept thinking that if I keep
the ball centered, even with a very steep bank, that I would be ok and
not auger in. Some of you instructors and old pros...is this correct?
(Not that I intend to make it a practice.)