Old April 28th 19, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Undershoot Vs. Overshoot airport landing accidents

On Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 1:41:47 AM UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
I was taught to always judge my circuit by the angles, and to do so with no instruments, so I’ve never been in a bad position on final.
What on earth do you do in the US that leads to the need for s turns, 360s etc?
In my winch training, I did several highly modified full circuits from 400ft with ease.

Most of my non-standard patterns here in the U.S. have come at the end of contest finishes. Whether using a finish line with a high-speed pass or a cylinder with a high floor, I was frequently lower or higher (respectively) and in closer proximity with other gliders than if I were just floating in to land after a pleasant local flight. At one mountain site, I finished very high for safety and made a high, somewhat longer pattern. Another pilot who had finished lower and was behind me called nervously to ask if I would hurry it up. I told him to turn in and I would extend. I turned onto base a little farther out than usual and then did a couple of S-turns until I could see him touch down and roll out safely, then turned final and landed using my normal high approach with brakes and slip.

Given a choice, I'm usually high. I feel like I can get rid of almost any amount of altitude safely (brakes, slip, dive, S-turns, whatever). But I can't get it back.

Chip Bearden
JB