Old September 10th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Default Children in gliders?

Hi Roger

At our club we obtained a booster seat specifically for the vertically challenged. Including one of our instructors...

What we found worked very well is a seat made of solid moulded expanded polystyrene. The seat is in two parts with a
seat part and separate back.
The back is articulated on the seat part by a zip connecting the two covers.
the back has "wings" that allow the four point harness to hold the booster in place and have the straps at an
appropriate height for the shoulders of the little ones.

cheap, worked well.

We experimented with solutions involving just a seat part, but found that the shoulder straps were in the wrong place.
Also the seat only option was difficulty to secure to prevent movement.

Picture - showing how the booster positions a light ten year old safely.

http://www.whisperingwings.org.za/ga...10&id=P1010014

Roger Worden wrote:
Are there some common guidelines about how big or old kids should be before
going for a glider ride? My concerns are around the safety harnesses being
intended for adults...

How do you ensure the harness is safe and is not going to slip around or off
a kid?

Are there safe ways to use a booster seat to enable a small one to be up
high enough to see out, without a possibility of it becoming a loose object
in the cockpit?

Anyone have experience with this subject?