Old June 2nd 04, 04:38 PM
Jim Weir

(JimT96309)

-I am currently interested in an older C-172 (Cont. 0-300 engine) that has an
-STC for auto gas. My questions a
-
-1. Can I continue to use AVgas instead of auto fuel?

Yes. You can mix and match all you want.

-
-2. I often fly into/out of Big Bear City, Ca. (elev. 6500ft.) I've been able
-to get out lightly loaded (me and one in the right seat) at a density altitude
-of 8,100 with one of our clubs 172s with the 320H2AD engines at 160 hp. What
-difference would I see with the 15 fewer horses up front?

I took our 172 (64 E model) in and out of Big Bear several dozen times over the
years. You just learn not to do it between 10 am and 7 pm. Not a big deal.

-
-3. Can you give me a rough idea of cost to add a 2nd Nav-comm with Glideslope
-and then have the whole thing certified for IFR? I would probably try to find
-good quality used one from one of the local shops.

The best thing about an older aircraft is that you can learn to work on it
yourself without a lot of hassle. A second navcom with GS can be had on Ebay
for $700 or so. Two weeks of your work will install it AND give you a hell of
an insight into the internal workings of your aircraft.

What does "certified for IFR" mean? Find me an FAR reference.

-
-Thanks for any help you can give to a rookie getting ready to make a first
-purchase.
-
-Jim
-