Old December 4th 05, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Basic Training Gliders - head rests

At 23:18 04 December 2005, Jack wrote:
Derek Copeland wrote:

The front
cockpit has a largish headrest that almost completely
blocks the forward view from the rear cockpit. In
Europe,
because the DG1000 is certified by EASA, we are not
even allowed to remove it, as it is specified in the
type certificate! While a headrest may be an important
safety item in a car to protect you from whiplash
in
a rear end shunt, I am still trying to work out in
what circumstances a glider might get rammed from
behind?

Derek

Perhaps you should try to understand whiplash.

When the glider/car or whatever is carrying a body
is stopped suddenly the head goes forwards.

When restrained by the seatbelts the remainder of the
body cannot follow it. Hence in cars we now have airbags.
Unfortunately for the poor neck, the shoulders and
head eventually whip back (in reality a fraction of
a second).

The shear forces on the neck as it goes backwards from
the top of the seat are enormous hence in cars, the
head restraint is fitted. It is not a head rest.

Perhaps for gliders we should insist on airbags and
head restraints for both seats?

Having flown from the rear of many two seaters the
head gear and hairstyle of the front seat passenger
causes more problems than a well designed head retraint.

IMHO the worst thing the front seat passenger can wear
is a white hat or an have affro/permed hairstyle.

Dave