Old May 29th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Michael[_1_]

Default CFI oral intel

On May 29, 10:58*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
He's obviously looking at getting an answer that it will be the same
speed, but that's not correct. It probably wouldn;'t be far off it, but
the thrust line and any up or down thrust will play a big part in what
the airplane settles at after the engine dies.

And in a propeller-driven plane with a conventional (as opposed to a T-
tail) empennage, the design and location (relative to the prop blast)
of the horizontal stab will probably swamp the effect of the thrust
line. In most cases, the trim speed will actually be higher when the
engine quits.

This question is a good one - without more information it can't really
be answered, but it's a great jumping-off point for a discussion of
the way pitch, power, and speed interact.

The airplane CFI PTS includes demonstrating and explaining trim stalls
(I remember having to do one on my CFI-ASE ride). So at least the
people who wrote the PTS expected the CFI to have that level of
aerodynamic knowledge, as well they should. It would help him to
explain to the student why certain things happen, and what he should
expect.

But that's probably way beyond what the average ops inspector is going
for (and probably more than he knows) - and it's somewhat depressing
that it's obvious to us that he's going for the wrong answer. You
would think we would give the guy the benefit of the doubt - but
having met several ops inspectors, I find that difficult to do.

Michael