Old February 27th 04, 07:29 AM
Judah

Hi Ron,
I would love to hear more about that technique. Now that you mention it,
I could guess that it would resemble one of the techniques for flying a
DME arc - flying perpendicular to radials from the VORs on the
intersection, twisting the OBSes 10 degrees at a time until catching
either one of the two airways or the intersection itself. Or maybe just
dead reckoning it and waiting for the needles to swing, and following
whichever airway you hit first in...

Still, to my recollection, my instructor actually referred to some
regulation that prohibited it. IIRC, the topic came up in a conversation
about using an intersection as the first point in a flight plan...

Still, if I'm off-track on the technique, I would love to hear more.

Thanks!

Judah

Ron Rosenfeld wrote in
:

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 02:33:55 GMT, Judah wrote:

Or am I mistaken in recalling
my instructor tell me that I can't fly direct to an intersection
without some sort of RNAV unless I am first tracking one of the airways
that make up the intersection.

You are probably not mistaken in your recollection of what your
instructor told you. However, it is likely that your instructor was
not aware of the various methods of navigating directly to a fix
without RNAV and without tracking one of the airways that define the
intersection.

I believe USAF pilots are still taught to do this.