Old September 24th 03, 04:27 PM

Patrick Underwood wrote:
: There seem to be a lot of people using auto engines on their
: homebuilts. I am a low-time student pilot so pardon me if this is a
: stupid question, but do many airports have autogas available at their
: pumps?

: If you're doing cross-country flights, seems like it would be a huge
: problem if your refueling stops didn't have the kind of fuel you need.

: If airports don't have autogas, what do you do in this situation?

You can (almost) always run a gas that has a higher octane than
what your engine requires, so if you normally run 87 cargas (something
like 82 avgas rating), then flying somewhere that only has 100LL, you can
burn that without trouble. Aside from the lead fouling and the price,
100LL is a much "better" (cleaner, tigher tolerances, lower vapor
pressure, etc) fuel than cargas, but if your engine can run on cargas, it
can be a good cost saver.

Some airports do have autogas, and it tends to have a slight cost
savings over avgas. Check fuel info at http://www.airnav.com

Cheers
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *