Old July 7th 04, 10:21 PM
Dave S

Steep turns and partial panel are a bad combination. I would consider
this a demonstration of what you can do with rudder and trim, and an
example of skill at controlling the airplane.

In smooth air, VFR, without an autopilot, I will sometimes fly the plane
with nudges of trim, nudges or rudder and sometimes lean forward and
back to make minor changes.. But I havent tried steep turns like this yet.

Dave

Roger Long wrote:

A friend of mine's IFR instructor showed him something I've never heard of.
He rolled in 2 - 3 turns of nose up trim on our 172, pushed on a rudder
pedal, and went into a nice level steep turn without touching the yoke. I'm
not sure if this is practice for proper turn entry or a way of entering an
emergency turn partial panel without the danger of over banking.

Can anyone shed further light on this maneuver?