Old March 19th 05, 12:43 AM
C. Osbourne

Thanks for the info, Too bad you can't just setup the right
equipment to receive the signals, but what you say makes sense.

It's just that's it's "drop dead cool", I'd really like to have
something that shows that data, that didn't cost as much as
the other 1/2 of the plane!

In article , says...

C. Osbourne wrote:
Recently I saw a Garmin G1000's (very cool) Mode S
radar display, superimposed over the moving map display.
They call it: "Mode-S transponders with Traffic Information
Service (TIS)"

We were in a class "B" area, and seeing all the traffic
in the area superimposed over the sectional map was
really fantastic.

My question is, is there a way to do something like this
with a laptop, computer that will receive this signal
in a portable unit that could be moved from plane to
plane?

No, the data is only sent to airplanes with mode S transponders. That's
how your plane is in the middle of the display and data about other
aircraft are referenced to you. It's not just a generic broadcast that
can be picked up by anybody with the right receiver.